Absences from Rydon
Absences from the College will only be authorised if:
- Your child is too ill to attend lessons.
- You have got advance permission from the College (this includes medical appointments). However, please be aware that additional support will be available if your child cannot attend school for an extended period due to ongoing health issues. This will be facilitated by the Pastoral Leaders and Pupil Services Team, and may involve the implementation of an agreed Health Care Plan
- Parents are encouraged to make appointments outside of the College day
- Appointments that have to be made during the College day need to be sanctioned by the College. Please ensure that the Pupil Services Department or Form Tutor are given prior knowledge of any appointment before your child is taken out of school. This can either be in the form of a note in your child’s planner, a telephone call to the Pupil Services Department or an email to: email@example.com.
Absences and Holidays during term time
- If you want to take your child out of school during term time, you have to make an application to the Headteacher in advance, using the College ‘Request for Absence in School Time’ Form. Absence for a holiday is at the Headteacher’s discretion and is not an automatic entitlement. It can only be authorised by the Headteacher and will only be in exceptional circumstances. Absence for more than 10 sessions (5 days) in an academic year will not be authorised.
- Each application will be looked at individually by the Headteacher and your child’s previous attendance record will be taken into consideration.
- Any application for time off during examination periods will be automatically refused.The Headteacher decision will be one of the following:
- The absence is authorised – eg due to exceptional circumstances
- The absence is unauthorised – eg the Headteacher is unable to authorise but previous attendance is excellent
- The absence is unauthorised eg the request for absence was not requested; the absence is at the time of examinations; the previous attendance of the child is lower than the College expectation, the request is more than 5 days.